- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, 1996
- M.S.E., University of Pennsylvania, 1983
- B.S., Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, Argentina, 1973
- Catalysis on metal nanoparticles for fuel cell electrocatalysts
- Catalyzed growth of single-walled carbon nanotubes
- Gas separation and storage in metal organic frameworks
- Solid-electrolyte interphase layer nucleation and growth in Si and carbon anodes of Li-ion batteries
- Materials for photocatalysis: Oxygen evolution in doped oxides
- Materials for solar cells and hydrogen production: Hydrogen evolution on coated semiconductors covered by co-catalysts
- Shale gas thermodynamics: Phase behavior of hydrocarbon + water mixtures in confined media
Awards & Honors
- NSF/POWRE award, 1997
- NSF/CAREER award, 1999
- GPSA Professorship, 2005
- AAAS Fellow, 2013
- TEES Senior Fellow, 2013
- Daniel Rossi, Luis E. Camacho-Forero, Guadalupe Ramos-Sánchez, Jae Hyo Han, Jinwoo Cheon, Perla B. Balbuena and Dong Hee Son, “Anisotropic Electron-phonon Coupling in Colloidal Layered TiS2 Nanodiscs Observed via Coherent Acoustic Phonon,” J. Phys. Chem. C., 119, (13), 7436-7442, (2015).
- Julibeth M. Martinez de la Hoz, Fernando A. Soto, and Perla B. Balbuena, “Effect of the Electrolyte Composition on SEI Reactions at Si Anodes of Li-Ion Batteries,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 7060-7068, (2015).
- Z. Liu, D. Hubble, P. B. Balbuena, and P. P. Mukherjee, “Adsorption of Insoluble Polysulfides Li2Sx (x = 1, 2) on Li2S Surfaces,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17, 9032-9039, (2015).
- Julibeth M. Martinez de la Hoz and Perla B. Balbuena, “Small-Molecule Activation driven by Confinement Effects,” ACS Catalysis, 1, 215-224, (2015).
- Jiamei Yu and Perla B. Balbuena, “How impurities affect CO2 capture in metal-organic frameworks modified with different functional groups,” ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 3 (1), 117-124, (2015).
- M. Picher, P. A. Linn, J. L. Gomez-Ballesteros, P. B. Balbuena, and R. Sharma, “Nucleation of Graphene and its Conversion to Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Nano Lett., 14, 6104-6108, (2014), dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl501977b.